Sunday, 6 March 2011

New Path...New Bike...

Belief can be both an enabler and dis-abler. Self belief, Spiritual belief, belief in a single kindred spirit, in humanity as a whole, perhaps a conceptual belief - Love, Truth, Honour, these can all have positive or negative attributes. When doubt impinges upon one, possibly a combination of these then instability emerges, all, and we become an empty vessel or we tumble into dependence on others to fulfill our emotional and spiritual needs. At that point we are negating our personal responsibilities, and subsequently driving away friends, relatives, family, even our Soul Mate.

be-lief -noun

1.
something believed an opinion or conviction: a belief that the Earth is flat.

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.

4. a religious (spiritual) tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith

Frequently I have struggled to come to terms with the fact that spirituality is not akin to the addition of fluid to reconstituted food. Instant gratification. Spirituality should not be defined as a 'rabbit in the hat' belief system. As a child my grandparents had a devout Christian spiritual belief and I myself, not having a wider knowledge of other pathways began to adopt a copycat approach to spirituality, all be it sporadically. My underlying interpretation was, (as Jim Morrison put it), solely "To petition the Lord with prayer..." Simple, 'need' that new bike you saw in town, speak to God about it. Sorted...



Move on forty-something years and you would have thought I would have become somewhat more knowledgeable. Yes, I guess I have a fundamental understanding of my Earth-centred spiritual path, however I have managed to become entrapped in the vicious circle that is my own lack of 'self belief', subsequently using my Druidic pathway as a 'get out jail free card'. When my Bipolar allows me to stand before my altar, it is not with reverence for the generosity that the 'Great Spirit', the 'Goddess and the God' have bestowed on me by reducing the most complex to it's simplest forms, for the abundance of ceaseless beauty in creation, for satisfying the needs, not only of myself, the human fellowship and all other existences...no..no..no..
It's all about the...



I still have so much to learn...

It is easy to see yourself as a victim in life – as a tiny cog in a vast and impersonal machine driven by others for economic and political ends. But by holding to the belief that everything is connected, that another reality exists beyond the everyday physical world, and that everything we think, feel or do has an effect, the Druid is able to assume an attitude of responsibility, and to feel empowered to be of value in the world. Like everyone else, they will sometimes feel the victim of others or of circumstances. While that feeling may come and go, the predominant belief will be that each of us is a causal being who exists in a web of life that unites every living creature. This means that each of us can choose to act as a force for good in the world.

Excerpts from What do Druids Believe? by Philip Carr-Gomm, Granta 2006

0 comments:

Post a Comment