Thursday, 4 February 2010

www....

With mixed emotions I observe. The thaw has begun, and despite the blusterous nature of the day I decide to put in a few miles on the road. Lacing my beat-up trainers, I grab a beanie, select some 'tunes' and embark....

The outbound leg is visually stunning, but physically uneventful. However as I veer left the wind takes away my breathe, creating an invisible barrier to my forward momentum, it's akin to the sensation of being on a treadmill. Plodding clumsily on, regardless of the relentless gale, something suddenly occurs to me. This scenario is primarily from my perspective...but is it purely about me..? As my awareness changes there is the realization that with each stride I too may represent an obstacle...to the continuity of the wind's flow...or do I..?

Is it a vivid imagination or pure egotism..? Wishful thinking..? Or could the 'Wind' and I be (on some level), consciously or otherwise involved in some form of mutual interaction..?

Humankind has been conditioned to believe that we as a species are pivotal to 'one huge ecosystem', namely the Earth, the concept of Anthropocentrism. On the contrary the Druid belief system is one of equality, a Web of Existence', all encompassing and without hierarchy. That puts me on a par with puffins, plankton or peonies... and I'm cool with that.

Later...

...as I relax in a sheltered part of the garden an audacious gull glides in, alighting merely yards from where I sit, then sauntering over to claim his share of my lunch..! I toss him a few morsels, a toothy grin on my face acknowledging his bravado. The encounter is brief but has reciprocal rewards..!

Though I have been interacting with nature all my life, it is only over the last 8 months or so that I have recognized a spiritual connection with and reverence for it. The Earth is my home and my provider....but not solely mine, (in respect that I am human), it is home and provider to all Creation..!! Thus by integrating less with the Earth and it's myriad membership, in a balanced, empathetic way, I may begin to be neglectful of my role, and further down the line adopt the stance, (as do a good proportion of my fellow humankind), that I have some claim of Universal Ownership.

Naive, my ramblings may be, but they are heartfelt. They may not be right by definition, they are not meant to be opinionated, but now they're out there in cyberspace I hope they strike a chord...

I'm attempting to strip down my pagan spirituality, (online...!) to simplify and to better understand my personal belief system, perhaps in the same way that 'Jamie Oliver' does with his recipe book when he's not seeking Michelin stars. Maybe I should consider retitling my blog page...The Skyclad Druid...!

Blessed Be

0 comments:

Post a Comment