Thursday, 11 February 2010

21st Century Druid Man

Defining the tenet of my spirituality has become something of a labyrinthine exercise. The fundamental reason behind my following a 'Pagan' based belief system was it's reverence for nature, Gaia, the 'Web of Life'...o.k., that's clear for me...

However, and this may well be my 'Newbie-ness', but the more information I absorb, the more overcomplicated the Druid Path of contemporary literature becomes, to the extent that intricate ritual, mythology, revivalism, (but not in the religious sense) and emulation, though often at it's core, frequently appears somewhat irrelevant to me. It just seems overcomplicated..! There is no denying that structure is a part of daily, monthly, yearly existence both within human and natural existence, however so should be 'spontaneity', (not 'anarchy' though).

So much wisdom can be gleaned by exploring the lives of our ancestors, that I can totally relate to and by definition we can begin with our parents before striding back towards the earliest hunter gatherers. We discover and uncover their strengths and weaknesses, triumphs, mistakes, their interactions with each other, nature, and the earth itself...if of course we can truly separate the last three...and as such we can truly begin to 'Honour' them.

So far so good. Where I am struggling is in the fact that I live in the realms of a selfish, materialist, egocentric society, (this is a sweeping statement understandably)....welcome one and all to the '21st Century', (I'm sure this isn't the first period in history that can be defined as such), and sadly for myself, much of the doctrines of the (ancient) Proto, Classical, and Revival periods of Druidry are appropriate to the era in which they occurred, though I am sure that there will be many 'universal lessons' contained within each which are past on through generations. The difference now is that we, the human can, and many are destroying OUR Earthly home, and I speak not purely for the human race but for EVERY aspect of creation. Unlike our ancestral Druid counterparts we are not living in a 'Balanced ' way with our environment, and this needs to be addressed not just a global level but from an individual perspective.

My spirituality is not purely person-centered unlike a deal of the society in which I live, (there is a thin divide between 'need' and 'greed'), but all encompassing, and, unlike my blogs needs to be relevant to the 'Here and Now'.

Spider, in a recent blog spoke of 'Honouring the Spirits of Place, Practically' ...by clearing litter, a truly hands on and needless to say admirable way of literal and spiritual interaction....I regularly put a bin liner in my rucksack when heading out into the hills, needless to say it comes back full of the 'Bruck', (Shetland dialect for rubbish- hence the labels on bins- 'Dunna Chuck Bruck'), and means more to me from a spiritual perspective than a stricter form of ritual.

I don't know why I feel the need to apologise if this seems heavy going at times, but it's just my way of clearing 'The Way' for a true 'Earth-centered' spiritual growth...If you think I'm heading in the wrong direction, please offer an opinion...it can only serve to help me...!

0 comments:

Post a Comment